An RFI Requesting Gift Ideas
A major European manufacturer wanted to buy 5,000 Christmas gifts for their employees. They needed four types of gifts:
- Donation to a good cause
- Traditional Christmas basket
- Two gifts with contents to be determined in the course of the bid
- The customer wanted suppliers to provide gift suggestions
The budget per gift was limited to DKK 600 due to tax regulations. The gift process was taken seriously by the customer and needed to be done professionally.
Identifying the Best Gift Ideas and Price
- The company decided to use two different RFIs.
- The first RFI was used to prequalify 12 suppliers. Information solicited included supplier experience, return policies, wrapping, gift brands, etc. as well as up to 10 suggested gift packages.
- The second RFI asked 6 suppliers to make specific offers on 3 gifts according to the themes selected in round 1.
- A “Private Event” bidding format was used in order to hide the content from company employees.
New Gift Ideas & Great Prices
- 9 bidders provided information for round 1
- 5 out of 6 round 2 bidders submitted bids
- The completed event provided innovative gifts that met the customers' needs across a diverse employee base while staying within budget and maintaining the Christmas gift secrecy